Since I realized the amount of love I have for what happens around me in the world, I believe this is the one space where I can at least express it without waiting for somebody to listen.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Quran vs. Hadith

I had found this website a long time ago (click on the title of this post), and I found it so down to earth and sensible. It explained certain aspects of religion that I always suspected were misinterpreted but couldn't figure out what was the right interpretation.

Granted, some parts of the site I can't seem to agree with. For example, their whole "numerology" system of the Quran being composed of the the miraculous number 19. Maybe I don't know math very well, but to me it sounded like trying to find a number when it is not really there. Who knows?

Anyway, my point is that sometimes I feel that Hadith really do complicate our lives. I think a lot of people refer to Hadith and Sunnath wayyyy too much. I feel Muslims don't refer to the Quran for answers anymore, and that by adding the Hadith they have complicated the religion by far more than it was supposed to be.

Like this article says, there are Hadith for even the simplest things in life such as how to drink a glass of water. It's ridiculous. Something like that doesn't contradict the Quran...mainly because the book remains silent on those aspects of life. But that is why we have it remain silent! So we can decide for ourselves how we want to drink a glass of water.

It's easier to sell someobody on this point of how to do simple aspects of human life. But what if I moved on to something more controversial? Women's dress has been one of those things. You would think the Quran spent pages and pages explaining exactly how a woman should be covered, when she should be covered, and what she should be covered with. But if you took all the words in the entire book that even mentions women's dress, you would be hard pressed to make a good solid paragraph. Even if you add in men's dress code.

There is another link to where the site mentioned this concept of women's dress, but to sum it up, I was surprised by what I read. There are only three rules for women (and men): 1) Wear the garment of rightousness 2) Cover your chest 3) Lengthen your garments

Three simple rules but somehow it became distorted with other ideas and other additions and other fabrications. There is even a debate about the word used in the Quran to cover the chest which is khimar. But honestly, I believe it when it says in the Quran that He has made religion easy for you (for those that believe).

All this is to say is that sometimes the harder issues in life can come up and when you go to refer to the true source, it's just harder to believe it sometimes because it seems like the answer in the Quran is much more simple than what people around you practice or what people around you would say if you decided to do things within your limits.

It stinks. (And I'm not talking about how to dress, I'm just talking about things in general and things that are complex).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hadith is a very vital and important part we cannot just ignore. Of course, first one should consult the Quran and then the Hadith books and the Hadith books shouldn't contradict the Quran. However if we did not have the Hadith, we would not know how to do Wudhu, perform Namaz. And also know about the 4 Caliphs that followed the Holy Prophet (saw), their history. And many other important things.

3/01/2008 10:48 PM

 
Blogger Neda said...

I understand what you are saying, and in a sense I thought this to be true too. But one thing that was pointed out to me was the fact that all of these things are actually mentioned in the Quran. If it weren't, then how can we say the Quran is the complete source of our religion? It actually is explained in the Quran how to perform wudhu, with specific details as to what body parts to wash or what to do in case there is not water around. The website that I mentioned in my post went further to explain that the Quran does in fact explain how to perform the namaz.

I believe when the period of time when the Quran was being revealed to the time when the revelations ended, that also marked the completion of our religion. It has been, as stated in the Quran, been perfected for us. So anything that happened after the Prophet Mohammad's (S.A.W.) death should be irrelevant because thereafter it was mainly history, not religion. Many of the caliphs and muslims were unsure themselves sometimes as to what the meaning of a Quranic verse was. And I think that is when we are supposed to use our best judgement because it says in the Quran that, "...I have given you the eyes and the brain to guide you. Use it." That is not a direct quote, but just something paraphrased from what I remember reading. When we are unclear about something, we are supposed to take out the best meaning...and I think in that way Allah has given us mercy to be able to follow the religion in a way that adapts well to our cultures and time.
People say that Islam is not working because it is "outdated" or we can't adapt to modernity. But in fact, (and again, I'm taking this argument from that site, but I really agree with a lot of what they explain) much of the Hadith is what seems to be causing these problems. How to dress, or what to believe is something up to us but within the general guidelines prescribed within the Quran. And alot of the divisions and sects within our religion stems from the fact that people take different Hadiths that they agree to and follow them, but ignore the bigger picture: which is that we all follow the same book, and the same rules.
This is just one way of looking at things. Wow, long reply isn't it? But I just had to post this topic because I felt that after knowing much of this, it has made my life a lot easier to strictly follow what is in the Holy Book and not what I heard from parents, or uncles, or cousins about what my religious rules are. It should be obligatory for every Muslim to read the Quran in their own language at least once. I had read it all in Arabic...and never understood anything! So that is why I made it a point for myself to read what is in the Book before knowing anything else.

3/03/2008 12:26 PM

 
Blogger xoraya said...

Well said Neda. Please teach these 'so called Muslims'. It's people like you that gives me the courage to embrace Islam. Too much hypocrisy and myths that contradict the Qur'an makes me feel so ashamed.
Thank you!

11/19/2011 11:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home