Since I realized the amount of love I have for what happens around me in the world, I believe this is the one space where I can at least express it without waiting for somebody to listen.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Christmas Songs and All The Rest Of It

I woke up so early this morning (6:40 a.m. to be percise) and came to class just to find out (and remember) that it was cancelled. So on I sauntered over to the RSC lounge to figure out what to do with myself. As I sat down in one of the plush seats eating my cream cheese and jelly bagel, I finally tuned into the background music that was playing Christmas songs.

What is it about these songs that make me turn into a Scrooge every year? I think I realized this after hearing this particular one. It wasn't any of the original Christmas songs (I think) and it was newer and original. That's much better. Because after 20 plus years of hearing the same lyrics and version of the same song over and over, it's just a song way out of style for me.

I know, I know. Some people (bah humbug) actually hold special meaning for these songs. Well, I do too. For example, the song "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" reminds me that I need to rent a copy of Home Alone before it all gets checked out for Thanksgiving Day. Oh yes, and "Deck the Halls" reminds me of the time in Kindergarten when I FINALLY got to dress up as an angel (a true testament that my teacher despised me after I waited oh so long to wear that golden halo) and sing in front of the auditorium. And "Frosty the Snowman" what memories. Aside from the fact that I had a "Little Golden Book" with half the pictures torn out, wrinkled, or just plain looking miserable, it reminds me of boring and sad cartoons that come on my not so cable tv during the holidays.

Yes, I love this time of year. I even broke little children's hearts. I distinctly remember the face of one little boy who I told way back when (yes, it was in kindergarten. Since my teacher thought I was the spawn of Satan, I might as well tell a story to live up to that reputation) that Santa Claus doesn't exist, yo. I was very excited to find out this piece of information and thought the boy's face would light up in surprise. No, it actually dimmed as a hint of fear and uncertainty crossed his face. I'm sure his parents told him not to hang around this rotten kid anymore.

I guess the only difference was that he got presents from Santa and I didn't, so what should I care?

Bah humbug.

Ok, on a happier note, after listening to that song in the lounge I also realized (like I realized about my thing for winter/fall* that these songs don't bother me as much anymore. It seems like I am back in the flow of things, and more comfortable this time around with Christmas time (I mean, like cha Christmas sales, hello farsharrrr).

Haha, just kidding. I love you vierd Amerikan peoples.

*******************************************************************************
*from my "other" blog 9/14/05 titled "I am Falling in Love..."


...with winter. And the idea of a cat. Although I have mentioned the cat before, I have to say, winter was never a season I even liked. In fact, I have always hated it. The murky clouds, bare trees, freezing temperatures outside and inside the house, early darkness, even more restricted lifestyle, hell who wouldn't like winter if they were me?

But somehow, the sky is misty, and the night is a comfort, the cold is a reason for warmth through my renewed interest in sweaters (*cough*fashion*cough*), and the proverbial idea of curling up to a good book with a warm cup of coffee (the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is freakin awesome). Not to mention that during the daytime, the foliage just morphs into a more luscious green. I am talking that comforting deep shade of green that I only remember all too well when I was in Virginia. Man, don't get me started on Virginia and nature...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home