Since I realized the amount of love I have for what happens around me in the world, I believe this is the one space where I can at least express it without waiting for somebody to listen.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Losing Ground


I don't know, I kind of like this little poem:

"Get ready," whispered the Willow
to the Hollow Oak outside
whose magnificent leaves splashed
its colors far and wide

"The Gale is coming, it can
no longer wait."
"Why?" shuddered the Oak, deeply
saddened by its fate.

"I did nothing wrong, but the
wind howels so.
It would not be so bad, if I
could just take my roots and go."

"Don't be silly," snapped the Willow
and its proud stubborn vines,
"the Gale planted the seed of life
on the Earth from which you whine."

"Perhaps," pondered the Hollow Oak
"but which Gale decided to growl?
The gentle wind from the South, or the
icy North who is so foul?"

"The North of course," said the Willow
"but it shouldn't be so bad. Although
you're not me, so the experience
may not be like I had."

Suddenly the Oak rustled, it's leaves
began to shed.
They were plucked down painfully,
filling the Oak with dread.

It gained momentum and
shook the Oak to its core.
It whistled and screamed in
its rage and it roared.

Much of its meaning was lost.
To the Oak it meant nothing more,
but to dream of a place
that is worth pining for.

As the wind died down, the
Hollow Oaks' branches showed bare,
and it was no surprise that the
Willow's leaves were still there.

Little by little, the Hollow Oak's
roots came undone
as the Willow wept silently
for what is never mentioned.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is that a Willow or an Oak in the picture?
I knew I should have come to class more often in Ecology, but it was a tossup b/n sleep in class or sleep in bed.
As u can guess, sleep in bed generally won.

2/12/2006 9:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay, i finally read your poem!!! i really like it...especially the last stanza. i should analyze it. :)

2/12/2006 10:14 PM

 
Blogger Neda said...

!xussel: An oak. I can't believe you've never seen a willow before. Or an oak. Uy vey, Kansans...:P

Maria: I think now it should be easier now that I've told you over the phone. Well ok, not the last stanza. Let me know if you can't figure it out.

2/14/2006 11:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if it was a LOT smaller, with no leaves and in my front yard, I MIGHT have recognized it to be an oak.
Aside from the picture I like the poem.
(It may not be right, but I take from it what I think it means.) ;-)

2/14/2006 2:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home