Since I realized the amount of love I have for what happens around me in the world, I believe this is the one space where I can at least express it without waiting for somebody to listen.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Life, Monetarily Speaking

So check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080710/ap_on_re_us/value_of_life

Apparently, the value of American life just isn't what it was used to. It made me laugh out loud mainly because I didn't know the government statistically evaluates in monetary value the worth of a person's life....

According to the article, the government does this to figure out if we are worth it for investments in projects for things such as, oh, pollution control. I guess since our value as people have decreased due to a recent configuration of our net worth.....we just aren't worth it (right now) to care.

Just because the dollar's worth has went down, did not mean so should we. There are critics who are upset with this (and in my opinion rightly so) that the Bush administration asked for this recalculation for political gain....they just didn't want the Environmental Protection Agency to be spending so much on "useless" projects.

I mean, if we have to figure this out according to our budget and how much money we really have to allocate for things, I understand. But it is funny to see how it somehow correlates to our worth in human lives....which it does! But isn't it sending out a signal to everyone that they just don't care? (And is anybody really surprised?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home